You read it right, there are laws against this sort of thing arent there?
MSS Subliminal Messages
The game plays .wav files when your in certain buildings that could be considered subliminul. The messages vary in what they say but a fair few are money orientated
"You look great! Try our clothing color system" - which'll cost you.
"You have the gift! Be the best miner" - by constantly purchasing a flow of bombs and equipment repairs from us.
I'll leave you with my all time favorite
"Your dreams have no limit! Build something great"
Today I was updating an old .net site to use the new .net2 classes. The warning messages in the C# Express IDE about obsolete classes where quite helpful but after a bit of googling I came across the following link. Its really handy for identifying areas in your applications that need special attention. I just scanned the list and located 5 classes that I'm positive I used in the original application.
.NET Framework V2.0 Obsolete API List
Alot of people in the DevShed Flash forum ask how to change the icons associated with Flash Projector files. Theres a whole slew of commercial applications to do this but theres one free solution that is really simple to use. I hadnt really thought of using it for just changing program icons but then it hit me the other day when someone asked, yet again, how to do this. This is a slightly modified version of my thread post, its aimed at Flash Projector .exe files although it can be used for any Windows executable.
- Get the free utility called Resource Hacker, I'll refer to it as RH for the rest of this article. This lets you open up various files and edit their contents. I used to use this to edit some stuff in Windows XP dlls. I just thought of using this to alter the Flash projector icon now and it seems to work fine.
- Open RH and then drag n drop your Flash Projector .exe onto it. Dont worry if the tree view looks really complicated as its not! (plus you dont need to mess with it for this)
- Now click on the Action menu and then Replace Icon.
- A new window should of opened. On the right hand side you should have two icon names to replace. For me with they were called "200" and "608". By clicking on the names you can see a preview of the icon near the top right. The one to change here is the "200" one.
- Near the top left is a button that says "Open file with new icon". Click that and navigate to the .ico file you want to use.
- Select it in the file browser and choose open. You should now see a preview of it just under the "Open file with new icon" button. Now just choose Replace near the bottom right.
- That will take you back to the main RH window. Just click File->Save.
- Presto! new icon
If your a user of pirate software you should be aware that there are now plenty of decent, free alternatives available. In todays age it is quickly becoming unsafe to download and even just to possess pirate software. I'm going to keep updating this blog entry with the latest free and opensource alternative solutions.
The format is that the title will be the application you "might" be "trialing" at the moment, the content after that describes its free counterpart.
Microsoft Visual Studio
Microsoft themselves have provided a series of free alternatives called the express editions.
Well this alternative is already well established but its worth pointing out for those who dont know about it. Its called "Open Office" and its produced by Sun Microsystems, that's right the people who dish out Java.
Microsoft .net Framework
Ok so you got me with this one, its always been free! You'd be surprised how many people think you have to pay to develop with it though.
I've been using a package called GIMP. Its just a full featured graphics package, its not really a clone of Photoshop. Out of the free ones I've played with it seems to have the most support though. I'd be happy if anyone had any others they think are better though as I'm not 100% happy with this one.
Discreet 3D Studio Max
So this is the trickiest in my opinion. I loved using Max since v3. Now I dont work at any companies that have it I've had to search long and hard for a decent alternative. Nothing really compares to it. There are two that kind of stand out from the rest though, the first is GMax which was a free product from Discreet for game developers. Its almost a complete 3DS v4 but you cant render with it and it uses its own file format. "So whats the point of that then?" I hear you ask. Well it still lets you make complex geometry that you can capture with print screen and alter in GIMP ;
Welcome to the new site. The new front-end uses B2evolution blog software for the news and link pages whilst the others use the Wacko Wiki engine.