Vista VPN == Slow Net Access
I use a VPN connection to access a remote network. I noticed that whilst connected the speed of browsing sites became incredibly slow. A quick tracert shows that all my network traffic is routed through the VPN connection. The reason for this is that as default new VPN connections in Vista are set to use the gateway on the VPN if it’s connected. This is really easy to change:
- Head to Start Menu/Settings/Network Connections
- Right click the VPN connection and choose Properties
- Select the Networking tab and then the IP v6 item and Properties
- On the new popup click Advanced and then on the IP Settings tab untick the “Use default gateway on remote network” box
- Repeat the last two steps for the IP v4 item
- Now click OK to close the VPN properties panel and give it a go
The connection should now use your normal gateway for all net based activity. A quick tracert will tell you for sure:
I was having problems with vista VPN and searched high and low to find out why. This soultion fixed the problem in seconds, thanks.
Thanks, this solution fixed broken navegation problems i was having when establishing vpn connection under vista home premium (32 bits).
I seem to have the same problem, but can’t find “Use default gateway on remote network box” on my IP Settings tab. I am running Vista Ultimate. I am desperate to a solution to this problem, so any help is much appreciated!
Make sure you are looking at the IP properties panel that you access by right clicking the VPN connection. You don’t get the option on the panel from right clicking your actual network connection.
Icannot find the option mentioned above on my windows7 netbook,
Hi, I don’t have Windows7 but I found this page when I googled “Windows7 VPN Gateway”:
In case that link goes down here’s a copy and paste of the answer (although you miss out on screenshots):