“How can a Flash file see the address of the page its on?”
Get asked that one quite a lot. I’ve put some thought into it and have begun toying with a few ideas.
Continue reading “Handy Flash Domain Reading”
So today has been quite a strainer, as part of a project I’m working on we generate PDF documents using JSP and PostgreSQL. The data is made up from various SQL queries depending on what we want to appear in the report. A huge brickwall I ran into today was that the creation dates for the reports are stored as 13 digit UNIX timestamps and PostgreSQL uses 10 digit timestamps.
Continue reading “JSP and PostgreSQL Time Stamp Mayhem”
A big part of my site uses Wacko Wiki as its engine so when I implemented Google Sitemap support for the other half it only seemed fitting that I do the same for the wiki. I didn’t see any available plugins on the Wacko homepage so I wrote my own function to handle this.
Continue reading “Wacko Wiki Google Sitemap Support”
In my last post I described the problem that the new update for IE poses for Flash developers. Well ok, it’s not really a problem but more of an inconvenience for our end users. My final note was to say that I was looking forward to seeing Adobe/Macromedia’s solution as I was dissatisfied with Microsoft’s “Use JScript” solution. After waiting what seemed like an eternity i.e. 3 months Adobe/Macromedia have finally released their solution. You can check it out here.
Continue reading “Microsofts update to Active Content in IE Part II”
I was going to post this a while ago but I thought I would give it some time to see if a decent solutions was released by Microsoft or Adobe/Macromedia. Recently Microsoft released an update for Internet Explorer which disables active content until the user directly interacts with it. This covers a range of areas although the only one to affect me so far is Flash based content. As far as I know the update isn’t in their “high risk” zone so on the most part it will only be applied by people who perform a manual Windows Update and select everything.
Continue reading “Microsofts update to Active Content in IE”
I got offered a job today using JSP. I haven’t touched this language at all so I was quite intrigued to see what it looked like. After a bit of reading it seems pretty easy to write although some areas appear much more bloated than C# i.e. there’s a lot of repeating code blocks. C# is still my 2nd favorite language after ActionScript but I reckon JSP could easily be my third!
Continue reading “Java Server Pages”
Its a site where you upload an image with the font in it and it will do its best to tell you the name of the font. This is quite old now but I only just found out about it:
What The Font?
If you’ve been having trouble getting anything to appear when using the loadBitmap() function then chances are you’ve made a simple mistake. The documentation says to use the linkageId of a library object as the sole argument for this function i.e:
var myBitmap:BitmapData = BitmapData.loadMovie(“libObjectId”);
The key to using this function is that you have to attach an actual image object from the library; so say you’ve imported a jpg/png there, give this a linkageId and use that. Don’t drop an instance of the image into a movieclip/graphic object and give that an Id. That would be the reason it didn’t work. Be warned: you wont get an error message telling you it didn’t work, your bitmap will just be blank.
I had a bit of trouble deciphering the MSDN article below:
What MSDN says about using credentials i.e the SmtpClient.Credentials property
Using a username and password with the new .net mailer is actually quite easy (C#):
SmtpClient mailer = new SmtpClient();
mailer.Host = "mail.youroutgoingsmtpserver.com";
mailer.Credentials = new System.Net.NetworkCredential("yourusername", "yourpassword");
mailer.Send("firstname.lastname@example.org", "email@example.com", "Subject line", "Main email text body");
As a sidenote, I was trying to send from an smtp server that was running on the same system as the site I was working on. That server uses the no-ip service to redirect the domain name to the dynamic IP the server sits at. The problem I ran into was that hotmail totally rejected the sent messages on receipt. I could send them ok but they just never came through on the other end, at the hotmail recipient. It took a lot of digging around for me to find out that it rejects mail sent from certain dynamic IP hosts such as no-ip. If you want to send it then you will have to use an smtp server that is NOT with one of these hosts.
Today I was updating an old .net site to use the new .net2 classes. The warning messages in the C# Express IDE about obsolete classes where quite helpful but after a bit of googling I came across the following link. Its really handy for identifying areas in your applications that need special attention. I just scanned the list and located 5 classes that I’m positive I used in the original application.
.NET Framework V2.0 Obsolete API List